JOB DESCRIPTION - Group Facilitator
Position: Group Facilitator – Violence Abuse Intervention Programs
Reports to: Program Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Visalia, CA
Department: Violence Abuse Intervention Department
Language: Bilingual in English & Spanish
About Family Services
Family Services helps children, adults, and families heal from violence and thrive in healthy relationships. We serve victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, child abuse, and other trauma through shelter, mental health services, and comprehensive support services. Our prevention programs also help stop the cycle of abuse. We are a private, nonprofit organization working to build a community of safe homes, safe relationships, and safe children—which means a safer, healthier community for everyone. Family Services offers salary and highly competitive benefits (medical, dental, vision, life, vacation, sick, retirement), commensurate with experience and skills. Family Services is highly committed to diversity and a workplace environment that respects, appreciates and values employees from all backgrounds.
Facilitate Anger Management and Batterer’s Intervention classes to clients referred by Tulare County Superior Court, Tulare County Probation Department, Tulare County Child Welfare Services, Division of Adult Parole Operations, as well as individuals who are not court-ordered but attend on a voluntary basis.
• Facilitate group sessions for individuals who have been ordered to complete 14 weeks of Anger Management or 52 weeks of Batterer’s Intervention.
• Focus group members on personal responsibility for abusive behaviors. Ensures that the group tone, content and methods reflect the principle of holding perpetrators accountable for their own actions.
• Use an array of educational, and counseling techniques to help clients confront abuse and its origins, and how to learn and practice tools that are being taught.
• Ensure all lesson plans adhere to approved program curriculum and materials.
• Track and record group member’s progress throughout the duration of program and prepare evaluations at scheduled reporting intervals and upon completion of programs.
• Ability to address deficits in progress with group members.
• Perform program intakes for new client’s who are enrolling in services. Assess and evaluate for program placement and readiness for attendance in group sessions.
• Maintain current and accurate client records.
• Communicate any problems or concerns with group members or group dynamics to the Program Manager in a timely manner.
• Must be able to work evenings and Saturdays as needed.
• Proper and immediate reporting of any suspected child abuse and/or neglect as well as suspected elder abuse.
• Report and intervene for any real threats of self-harm.
• Adhere to all program policies, and requirements stated in Penal Codes 1203.097 & 1203.098
• Must be able to work effectively with individuals from diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds.
• Demonstrate awareness and competency in providing services to multi-ethnic, multi-cultural groups and individuals.
• Perform duties in a safe manner to avoid injury to self and others.
• Adherence to policies related to HIPAA, confidentiality, information sharing and appropriate use of agency client database.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Education: Associate degree preferred or be in the process of obtaining associate degree with completion of a minimum of 24 college units. Professional experience may be considered a substitute for minimum educational requirements.
• Experience: Prior work history in social services setting, with experience facilitating psycho-educational groups, and working with court-ordered clients is preferred. Group management skills, knowledge of the dynamics of domestic violence, substance abuse, anger management, child abuse, co-custody parenting, and the cycle of violence. Crisis intervention skills and firm knowledge of reporting laws required.
• Transportation: Valid California driver license, availability of automobile for business use, and at least minimal auto liability insurance coverage as required by law.
• Additional Requirement: Must receive clearance from Department of Justice Criminal Record Offender Information database. Must complete 40 hours of training on Domestic Violence, and 104 hours co-facilitating groups with a certified Batterers Intervention Facilitator prior to leading groups independently.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING ENVIRONMENT: The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
• Environment: Standard office setting; occasional travel from site to site; occasional exposure to sun, moderate heat, noise, dust, and fumes; stressful calls/situations.
• Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability to work in an office setting and field environment including occasional travel to various locations; sit for prolonged periods of time; stand for brief periods of time; climb 3-5 stairs; operate office equipment including a computer keyboard. Lift up to 25 lbs.
• Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents and to operate the equipment.
• Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements, which may change from time to time based on business needs. When appropriate, reasonable accommodations that do not create an undue hardship to the Company may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Covid-19 Vaccination & Testing: Please be aware that Family Services requires all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or complete weekly testing. This position will require the successful candidate to show proof of vaccination or set a routine testing plan with HR. Family Services has several testing options.
To Apply: Complete our online application below or download and submit an employment application with a resume and cover letter by one of the following methods:
Fax: (559) 732-1987