JOB DESCRIPTION - Parenting Education Instructor
Facilitate visitation services for parents of children who have court ordered visits and coordinate and teach parenting education classes and enrichment programs. Starting wage - $13.94/hour.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Education. Child Development or Human Services usually required.
- Experience: One year’s experience in child development, parenting education, or counseling required. For some positions, may be required to demonstrate ability to work in a bilingual setting (Spanish/English).
- Transportation: A valid California Driver License, availability of automobile for business use, and at least minimal auto liability insurance coverage as required by law.
- Additional Requirements: Must receive clearance from the Department of Justice Criminal Record Offender Information database. Knowledge of budgets or grant management; excellent speaking and writing, training and presentation skills also required. Experience working with low-income and/or homeless populations helpful.
- Must be able to respond quickly and effectively to many types of situations, including crisis-driven or potentially difficult situations involving clientele living with mental health conditions, engaged in drug/alcohol use, victims of crime, etc.
- The administrative functions of the position are performed primarily in a shared office setting under minimal temperature variations, in a generally hazard free environment and in a clean atmosphere.
- You may be in contact with individuals and families in crisis who may be ill, using substances and/or not attentive to personal health and safety needs.
- This position typically spends time sitting, standing, climbing stairs, walking, driving, carrying and lifting (up to 25lbs).
- Frequent operation of computer keyboard, firm/strong grasping, and repetitive hand control. Able to complete all forms in personal writing.
- Make and receive telephone calls. Use of general office equipment, copier, scanner, and fax machine. Subjected to outside environmental conditions.
- Close vision, peripheral vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Psychological tolerance for confrontation and/or disruptive behaviors of clients.
The conditions described above must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Nature & Scope:
- Facilitate short-term parenting development groups utilizing evidence- based or adult learning curricula and educational material.
- Maintain records of participant attendance, progress, and other elements as required.
- Attend mandatory weekly meetings and seasonal trainings.
- Demonstrate awareness and competency in providing services to multi-ethnic, multi-cultural groups and individuals.
- Maintain awareness of, and act in accordance with child abuse reporting laws and procedures.
- Conduct program and client outcome evaluations.
- Maintain regular communication with supervisor. Share concerns and ideas for improvement of program.
- Refer class participants to other community resources and services as appropriate.
- Perform duties in a safe manner to avoid injury to self and others.
- Other duties as assigned.