Position: Domestic Violence Relief Staff
Reports to: Karen's House Program Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, part-time
Location: Visalia, CA
Department: Karen's House, Emergency Domestic Violence Shelter
About Family Services
Family Services helps children, adults, and families heal from violence and thrive in healthy relationships. We serve victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, child abuse, and other trauma through shelter, mental health services, and comprehensive support services. Our prevention programs also help stop the cycle of violence. We are a private, nonprofit organization working to build a community of safe homes, safe relationships, and safe children—which means a safer, healthier community for everyone. Family Services offers salary and highly competitive benefits (medical, dental, vision, life, vacation, sick, retirement), commensurate with experience and skills. Family Services is highly committed to diversity and a workplace environment that respects, appreciates, and values employees from all backgrounds.
Crisis Relief Staff is responsible for responding to incoming domestic violence hotline calls and provides crisis intervention, safety planning, referrals, and information to all callers. They also conduct new client screenings and intakes and provide assistance and services to shelter residents. Applicants must be available on weekends.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent with demonstrated ability to maintain standards of written and oral communication required by the position.
Experience: Six months of public contact position. Ability to respond to emergency calls and incidents and be sensitive to domestic violence victims.
Transportation: California driver's license. Availability of automobile for business use, and minimal auto liability coverage as required by law.
Additional Requirement: Must complete a 40-hour certified domestic violence counselor training program prior to employment. Must be at least 21 years of age. Must receive clearance from the Department of Justice Criminal Record Offender Information Data Base.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to crisis line callers, provide crisis counseling, and referral to appropriate resources.
- Screen potential Shelter residents. May transport clients to shelter or other locations.
- Interview clients and assess needs.
- Assist clients by providing information, problem-solving skills, support counseling, and referral. Review cases with supervisor and domestic violence response team as needed or requested.
- Work cooperatively with other staff. Maintain an empathetic, accepting Shelter environment responsive to clients.
- Document all statistical client file entry requirements.
- Maintain security and confidentiality of the Shelter facility and residents through adherence to policies and procedures related to securing premises.
- Develop and check on chore completion and assist as needed; respond to all routine tasks and needs of shelter and residents.
- Attend staff meetings and training sessions as scheduled.
- Communicate the need for shelter maintenance and repair to Shelter Operations Manager.
- Adherence to policies related to HIPAA, confidentiality, information sharing, and appropriate use of agency-client database.
- Safely perform all duties to avoid injury to self and others.
- Other duties as assigned.
Complete the online application below or download and submit an employment application with a resume and cover letter by one of the following methods:
Family Services of Tulare County
Attn: Human Resources Coordinator
P.O. Box 429
Visalia, CA 93279
Fax: (559) 732-1987
The conditions described above must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of the job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Family Services is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.