The main function of the Volunteer Rape Victim Counselor is to provide supportive counseling, information and referrals, and advocacy services to victims of sexual assault and their significant others.
• 36 hours each month (includes nights/weekends/holidays) throughout a one year period.
• It is helpful if volunteers can be flexible and occasionally adjust their shift hours to meet the needs of the clients
• Attend meetings and training sessions as scheduled.
Job duties and responsibilities:
• Respond to general information and crisis telephone calls.
• Fulfill prescribed support role duties as part of the Tulare County Sexual Assault Response Team (SART).
• Provide sexual assault crisis intervention services at the SART Facility, hospitals, law enforcement agencies, and other sites as directed.
• Provide trauma-informed, personal, confidential peer counseling to sexual assault victim/survivors and significant others.
• Assess client needs for additional services and make appropriate referrals.
• Complete forms required for client files or service provision records.
• Maintain regular communication with Family Services’ Rape Crisis Center staff with reference to program needs and files.
• Must attend required 8-hours continuing education to maintain certification (provided in-house by Family Services).
• Must possess ability to understand and appreciate diversity, and to be sensitive to different experiences and lifestyles.
• Perform all tasks in a safe manner to avoid injury to self and others.
Duties may vary as needs arise and/or change.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Ability to respond to emergency calls and incidents; sensitivity to sexual assault victims.
• Must possess or immediately complete CalOES State approved 40-hour Rape Crisis Counselor training.
• Bi-lingual is helpful.
Screening Requirements and Process:
• Must interview with Program Manager and/or Program Staff
• Must receive clearance from the Department of Justice Criminal Record Offender Information database.
• Provide proof of a valid CA Driver’s License; proof of auto insurance; DMV Record
Benefits of Training:
All volunteers will receive effective training and an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge in the social services field, all while helping their community.