VOLUNTEER JOB DESCRIPTION - Sexual Assault Victim Counselor
The main function of the Volunteer Rape Victim Counselor is to provide supportive counseling, information and referrals, and advocacy services to victims of sexual assault and their significant others.
• 36 hours each month (includes nights/weekends/holidays) throughout a one year period.
• It is helpful if volunteers can be flexible and occasionally adjust their shift hours to meet the needs of the clients
• Attend meetings and training sessions as scheduled.
Job duties and responsibilities:
• Respond to general information and crisis telephone calls.
• Fulfill prescribed support role duties as part of the Tulare County Sexual Assault Response Team (SART).
• Provide sexual assault crisis intervention services at the SART Facility, hospitals, law enforcement agencies, and other sites as directed.
• Provide trauma-informed, personal, confidential peer counseling to sexual assault victim/survivors and significant others.
• Assess client needs for additional services and make appropriate referrals.
• Complete forms required for client files or service provision records.
• Maintain regular communication with Family Services’ Rape Crisis Center staff with reference to program needs and files.
• Must attend required 8-hours continuing education to maintain certification (provided in-house by Family Services).
• Must possess ability to understand and appreciate diversity, and to be sensitive to different experiences and lifestyles.
• Perform all tasks in a safe manner to avoid injury to self and others.
Duties may vary as needs arise and/or change.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Ability to respond to emergency calls and incidents; sensitivity to sexual assault victims.
• Must possess or immediately complete CalOES State approved 40-hour Rape Crisis Counselor training.
• Bi-lingual is helpful.
Screening Requirements and Process:
• Must interview with Program Manager and/or Program Staff
• Must receive clearance from the Department of Justice Criminal Record Offender Information database.
• Provide proof of a valid CA Driver’s License; proof of auto insurance; DMV Record
Benefits of Training:
All volunteers will receive effective training and an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge in the social services field, all while helping their community.