JOB DESCRIPTION - Victim Advocate
- Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts, Social Science, health and/or community services or demonstrated equivalent mix of education and experience.
- One-year experience with a human/social services provider.
- Crisis counseling preferred.
- Clerical and or legal secretary experience a plus.
- Must demonstrate effective peer counseling/communication and writing skills and ability to work independently.
- A valid California Driver License and availability of a vehicle for business use; and auto liability coverage as required by law.
- Must complete a 40-hour certified domestic violence counselor training program and 40-hour certified sexual assault counselor training.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required.
- Must be at least 21 years of age and receive DOJ background clearance.
- Must be able to respond quickly and effectively to many types of situations, including crisis-driven or potentially difficult situations involving clientele living with mental health conditions, engaged in drug/alcohol use, victims of crime, etc.
- The administrative functions of the position are performed primarily in a shared office setting under minimal temperature variations, in a generally hazard free environment and in a clean atmosphere.
- The direct service functions of the position: you may be in contact with individuals and families in crisis who may be ill, using substances and/or not attentive to personal health and safety needs.
- The employee may experience a number of sensory demands associated with the client’s use of alcohol and drugs, and the lack of personal care.
- This position typically spends time sitting, standing, climbing stairs, walking, driving, carrying and lifting (up to 25lbs).
- Frequent operation of computer keyboard, firm/strong grasping, and repetitive hand control. Able to complete all forms in personal writing.
- Make and receive telephone calls. Use of general office equipment, copier, scanner, and fax machine. Subjected to outside environmental conditions.
- Close vision, peripheral vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Psychological tolerance for confrontation and/or disruptive behaviors of clients.
The conditions described above must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Nature & Scope:
General receptionist/clerical duties: greet clients, answer and route phone calls and voice mails, copying, filing, mailings; draft correspondence under attorney supervision.
Screen potential clients, referring those who do not meet grant requirements to other services/agencies
Maintain basic awareness of current laws pertinent to domestic violence victims, e.g. restraining orders, stalking, custody considerations, etc.
Provide court accompaniment to domestic violence victims as needed.
Be familiar with preparation and service of documents and pleadings with appropriate persons, being familiar with local court rules and requirements as pertaining to filings.
Provide interpretation services for attorney and clients in-person; translating written communications.
Assist attorney and advocates in maintaining required statistics for grant funders, document activities and prepare reports as assigned in a timely, accurate, and complete manner.
Work with CalWorks clients to assess needs, develop and realize personal goals. Review cases with supervisor and domestic violence response team as needed or requested.
On a monthly basis, provide domestic violence information and training to CW staff; follow up on referrals, advocate, and coordinate services.
Attend staff meetings and training as required. Communicate progress, problems, and needs to supervisor on a regular basis.
Perform all tasks in a safe manner as to avoid injury to self and others.
Other duties as assigned.
FSLA Status: Full-time/non-exempt, w/benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Life, 403(B).
Compensation: Hourly rate of $13.40
Family Services is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer