JOB DESCRIPTION - Temp. Program Advocate Assistant
Position: Temporary-Program Advocate Assistant
Wage: $14.50/ per hour
Reports to: Rape Crisis & Human Trafficking Program Manager
FLSA Status: Temporary Full-time, Non-Exempt
Location: Visalia, CA
Department: Rape Crisis Center
Language: English & Spanish
About Family Services
Family Services helps children, adults, and families heal from violence and thrive in healthy relationships. We serve victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, child abuse, and other trauma through shelter, mental health services, and comprehensive support services. Our prevention programs also help stop the cycle of abuse. We are a private, nonprofit organization working to build a community of safe homes, safe relationships, and safe children—which means a safer, healthier community for everyone. Family Services offers salary and highly competitive benefits (medical, dental, vision, life, vacation, sick, retirement), commensurate with experience and skills. Family Services is highly committed to diversity and a workplace environment that respects, appreciates and values employees from all backgrounds.
The Program Advocate Assistant is responsible for the smooth operation of the Rape Crisis Center office. This includes assisting all staff with general clerical duties, statistical reporting, greeting volunteers and clients, and answering telephones. Additionally, the Program Advocate Assistant will provide supportive counseling, information/referrals, and advocacy services to survivors of sexual assault.
• Answer telephone and direct calls to appropriate individuals or take messages as needed. Also, answer general questions regarding Family Services and refer to community resources.
• Greet existing and potential clients.
• Maintain awareness of community resources for referral purposes.
• Maintain physical condition of office and office equipment with regard to confidentiality, safety, productivity, comfort, and appearance.
• Complete clerical tasks as needed.
• Analyze office procedures and practices and communicate ideas and needs for improvement to Rape Crisis Program Manager.
• Assist with fundraising and public relations efforts as needed.
• Maintain inventory and order supplies.
• Must possess the ability to understand and appreciate diversity and to be sensitive to different experiences and lifestyles.
• Maintain regular communication with the Program Manager with reference to program needs and problems
• Perform all tasks in a safe manner to avoid injury to self and others.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education: AA Degree or equivalent experience in social work, psychology, counseling, or related field preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience in the provision of social services.
Experience: Experience working with survivors of sexual assault preferred, including completion of a 40-hour State approved sexual assault victim counselor certification. Candidates who have not completed the training will be required to do so. Ability to provide culturally competent services and work with a diverse staff and clientele in an empathetic and non-judgmental manner.
Transportation: California driver’s license. Availability of vehicle for business use, and minimal auto liability coverage as required by law.
- Bilingual English/Spanish fluency preferred.
- Must have the ability to read and write English
- Must be able to make sound decisions independently during crisis hotline calls.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills—oral and written.
- Ability to function as a part of a team and work in collaboration with outside agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate feedback and utilize supervision.
- Background check, including fingerprinting clearance from the Department of Justice; Demonstrate eligibility to work in the United States.
- Familiarity with community-based services in Tulare County and neighboring counties in the Central Valley.
Complete our online application below or download and submit an employment application with resume and cover letter by one of the following methods:
Family Services of Tulare County
Attn: Human Resources Coordinator
815 W. Oak
Visalia, CA 93291
Fax: (559) 732-1987
The conditions described above must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Family Services is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.