Provide academic assistance, including information and technical support to school-aged students who are residents of Karen’s House, our Domestic Violence Emergency Shelter. The tutor(s) will also act to enhance self-esteem and confidence in children through patience and encouragement.
- 8 Hours each month, Monday through Friday, 3pm to 5pm
- It is helpful if volunteers can be flexible and occasionally adjust their shift hours to meet the needs of the clients or program. (may include evenings/weekends)
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide instruction to individual or small groups of students to improve academic performance or prepare for tests.
- Assist children in reading, writing, and any other academic related activities.
- Work closely with Child Advocate Coordinator for guidance and support for child residents. Provide input/feedback to Child Advocate Coordinator and/or Program Manager.
- Must possess ability to understand and appreciate diversity, and to be sensitive to different experiences and lifestyles.
- Perform all tasks in a safe manner to avoid injury to self and others.
- Duties may vary as needs arise and/or change.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must possess or immediately complete 40-hour certification Domestic Violence Advocate training.
- Sensitivity to domestic violence survivors and family members.
- Interest in and comfort in working with school aged children (K-12). Previous experience helpful.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written), active listening skills, critical thinking skills and a commitment to student success.
- Bi-lingual is helpful.
Screening Requirements and Process:
- Must interview with Volunteer Coordinator, Program Manager and/or Program Staff
- Must receive clearance from the Department of Justice Criminal Record Offender Information database.
- Provide proof of a valid CA Driver’s License; proof of auto insurance; DMV Record
Benefits of Training:
All volunteers will receive effective training and an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge in the social services field, all while helping their community.