JOB DESCRIPTION – Domestic Violence Crisis Relief Staff
Minimum Qualifications: Education: High School diploma or equivalent with demonstrated ability to maintain standards of written and oral communication required by position. Experience: Six months public contact position. Ability to respond to emergency calls and incidents and be sensitive to domestic violence victims. Transportation: California driver’s license. Availability of automobile for business use, and minimal auto liability coverage as required by law.
Special Requirement: Must complete a 40-hour certified domestic violence counselor training program prior to employment. Must be at least 21 years of age. Must receive clearance from the Department of Justice Criminal Record Offender Information Data Base.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to crisis line callers, provide crisis counseling and referral to appropriate resources. Screen potential Shelter residents. May transport clients to Shelter or other locations.
- Interview clients and assess needs.
- Assist clients by providing information, problem solving skills, support counseling, and referral. Review cases with supervisor and domestic violence response team as needed or requested.
- Work cooperatively with other staff. Maintain an empathetic, accepting Shelter environment responsive to clients.
- Document all statistical client file entry requirements.
- Maintain security and confidentiality of Shelter facility and residents through adherence to policies and procedures related to securing premises.
- Develop and check on chore completion and assist as needed; respond to all routine tasks and needs of Shelter and residents.
- Attend staff meetings and training sessions as scheduled.
- Communicate need for shelter maintenance and repair to Shelter Operations Manager.
- Perform all duties in a safe manner so as to avoid injury to self and others.
- Other duties as assigned.