JOB DESCRIPTION - Bilingual Legal Advocate
Family Services has an immediate opening for a bilingual Legal Advocate in our Domestic Violence Program. The legal advocate will provide advocacy as needed, including interviewing and assessing the needs of the residents of Karen’s House for legal assistance. May provide transportation to domestic violence victims and provide court accompaniment.
This is a full-time, 40 hours/week, position with benefits. Rate of pay: $13.94/hour based on experience and possession of paralegal certificate.
Education: Paralegal certification preferred, Associate of Arts in Social Science or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Additionally, must have completed or be able to complete the minimum training for counseling victims of domestic violence specified in the California Evidence Code Section 1037.1
Experience: One year experience in paralegal, counseling, or domestic violence response services.
Transportation: A valid California Driver License and minimal auto liability insurance as required by law. Must be able to use personal vehicle in the course of performing routine job duties.
Special Requirements: Bilingual English/Spanish. Must complete a 40-hour certified domestic violence counselor training program prior to employment. Must be at least 21 years of age. Must receive clearance from the Department of Justice Criminal Record Offender Information Data Base.
- Must be able to respond quickly and effectively to many types of situations, including crisis-driven or potentially difficult situations involving clientele living with mental health conditions, engaged in drug/alcohol use, victims of crime, etc.
- The administrative functions of the position are performed primarily in a shared office setting under minimal temperature variations, in a generally hazard free environment and in a clean atmosphere.
- The employee may experience a number of sensory demands associated with the client’s use of alcohol and drugs, and the lack of personal care.
- This position typically spends time sitting, standing, climbing stairs, walking, driving, carrying and lifting (up to 25lbs).
- Frequent operation of computer keyboard, firm/strong grasping, and repetitive hand control. Able to complete all forms in personal writing.
- Make and receive telephone calls. Use of general office equipment, copier, scanner, and fax machine. Subjected to outside environmental conditions.
- Close vision, peripheral vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Psychological tolerance for confrontation and/or disruptive behaviors of clients.
The conditions described above must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Nature & Scope
1. Maintain awareness of current laws pertinent to domestic violence victims, e.g. restraining orders, stalking, custody considerations, etc.
2. Interview and assess the needs of the residents of the Battered Women’s Shelter for legal assistance. Counsel and refer to Legal Aide, private attorneys, paralegals, or legal typing services as appropriate. Provide advocacy as needed.
3. Provide transportation to domestic violence victims, if necessary, to complete legal services.
4. Provide Court accompaniment to domestic violence victims.
5. Maintain required statistics, document activities and prepare reports as assigned in a timely, accurate, and complete manner.
6. May provide domestic violence training presentations to criminal justice system professionals on domestic violence legal issues and legal procedures training to others.
7. Coordinate with other domestic violence response services staff, Family Court Services, Victim Witness Assistance, rape crisis response services, the Courts and other relevant entities or service providers.
8. Attend staff meetings and training as required. Communicate progress, problems, and needs to supervisor on a regular basis.
9. Perform all tasks in a safe manner as to avoid injury to self and others.
10. Other duties as assigned.